Atlanta Symphony Orchestra Talent Development Program
A Program of Excellence
The Atlanta Symphony Orchestra’s 2023/24 season will mark the 30th Anniversary of the Talent Development Program™ (TDP). The trailblazing program is a first-of-its-kind initiative among U.S. orchestras, designed to identify, mentor, and develop middle and high school Atlanta musicians of Black and Latino heritage for careers as professional classical musicians.
To commemorate this milestone season, there will be several special events showcasing the TDP’s talented young musicians and alumni, many of which are free and open to the public.
View Upcoming Events
What does the TDP provide?
- Weekly private lessons with an ASO musician
- Summer program financial assistance
- Solo recital and chamber music performance opportunities
- Technical and performance juries
- Assistance with preparation for auditions
- Mentoring and one-on-one coaching
- Complimentary tickets to ASO classical concerts for Fellows and their families
Who is Eligible?
- Students in rising fifth grade to rising tenth grade who have at least one parent who is either Black or Latinx
- Serious music students who have already reached a high level of proficiency on a standard orchestral instrument
TDP Impact Report
The TDP prepares gifted Black and Latine musicians for careers in classical music. Read highlights from the program's 2021/22 season and catch up with some of TDP's accomplished alumni.
Preparing gifted Black and Latine musicians for careers in classical music.
View TDP Brochure
All of us at the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra believe that young African American and Latino musicians in Atlanta, who have the grit and talent to succeed, should have access to a top-tier musical education. The Talent Development Program’s alumni have more than met this great challenge and are breaking barriers in all areas of classical music, all over the world. It is an honor to help lead this work, along with the parents, musicians, staff, volunteers, donors, and community members who support our Talent Development Program students and alumni.
Jennifer Barlament, Executive Director
Thanks to our Talent Development Program Sponsors
A Friend of the Symphony