The optimal TDP student possesses a passion for classical music and the drive to be a professional musician. This student is committed to meeting the demand of the program's requirements including weekly lessons and regular jury evaluations to monitor the student’s progress. This student is also dedicated to sharing their talent with the community through outreach projects led by the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra and supportive of their peers in the Program.
Audition applications for the 2021/22 season are currently closed.
- Students in rising 5th to rising 10th grades
- Students who have at least one parent who is either African-American or Latino
- Serious music students who have already reached a high level of proficiency on a standard orchestral instrument
- Weekly private lessons with Atlanta Symphony Orchestra musicians
- Scholarship awards for summer music study
- Family passes to Atlanta Symphony Orchestra classical concerts
- Opportunities to participate in masterclasses, chamber ensembles, and solo performances
- High-profile outreach performance opportunities
- Association with other like-minded, serious music students
Auditions will take place at the Woodruff Arts Center, 1280 Peachtree Street NE, on the NW corner of 15th and Peachtree Streets. Directions will be provided to applicants with the audition time.
All Grades & Instruments: Two unaccompanied solos in contrasting styles plus scales and techniques as outlined below (all scales from memory):
*Please note that we currently do not accept students on piano or saxophone.
Violin & Viola
- Knowledge of 3rd position
- G, A, g, and a scales, 3 octaves (violin)
- C and D scales, 3 octaves (viola)
Grades 9-10 All of the above, plus:
- Knowledge of 5th position
- g and a melodic minor scales, 3 octaves (violin)
- c and d melodic minor scales, 3 octaves (viola)
Cello & Bass
Grades 4-7 Knowledge of different neck positions:
- C and D scales, 3 octaves (cello)
- F and G scales, 2 octaves (bass)
Grades 8-10 All of the above, plus:
- Beginning knowledge of Thumb Position
- c and d melodic minor scales, 3 octaves (cello)
- f and g melodic minor scales, 3 octaves (bass)
- Grades 4-8: All Majors, 1 or 2 octaves
- Grades 9-10: All Majors, 2 octave minimum, and a, d, & e minor
- Two contrasting solos from etude books or standard solo repertoire (only one All-State etude may be used).
- Grades 4-8: C, F, Bb, Eb, Ab, & G
- Grades 9-10: All Majors one octave, except 2 octaves for B, C, Db, & D
*If student’s oboe has a low Bb key, please be prepared to play the Bb Major 2 octaves.
Clarinet & Trumpet
- Grades 4-8: G, C, F & Bb
- Grades 9-10: Eb, Ab, Db & Gb
- Grades 4-8: F, Bb, Eb & Ab
- Grades 9-10: Bb, Gb, B & E
- Grades 4-8: C, F, Bb & Eb
- Grades 9-10: Ab, Db, Gb & B
Trombone & Tuba
- Grades 4-8: F, Bb, Ab, & G
- Grades 9-10: D & G minor, B & E
- Two solos as noted above on pitched instrument
- Must be able to sight-read rhythms and pitches
- Basic techniques on pitched percussion instruments, snare drum and timpani, including basic snare drum rudiments
- All major scales on pitched percussion instruments
- Two unaccompanied solos in contrasting styles
- All major and minor scales
NOTE: Special arrangements must be made for both harp and percussion auditions. Please contact the ASO Education Staff to ensure that proper arrangements can be made.